Thursday, 29 October 2009

shopping on a Kirket day

A visit to the market was due, and when we finally reached the shop which i visit every month, I was surprised to see an empty shop. There was no one to cater to the customers. "Where is everyone?" i asked myself with a quizzical look on my face. An old man pointed towards a group of people staring at something. I held my breath and kept my fingers crossed. "Dear God! please don't let it be an accident." I treaded ahead with hopes that there had been no accident. I tore across the crowd and plunged ahead. But, before I could reach the place where lay the centre of attraction, the crowd cheered.

I leaped to find myself facing a portable TV. Dhoni had just scored a century and the crowd was ecstatic. I looked at the countless faces flushed with a glow of victory. A certain happiness which can be felt when a person himself/herself or a close family member or close friend achieves something was writ on their faces.
"Aaj India Kirket match jeet jaaega medum," cheerfully claimed a young lad in his teens. "Dhoni bhaiya ka ban gaya century" he added. By the time I could move ahead and ask him any question he was back into the shop. I followed him into the shop only to find him straight faced and businesslike in attitude.

What is it with Cricket that captivates a whole nation. Well, maybe two nations or maybe more countries. Is it just the game that fascinates all young and old or is it the surprise element attached with it that has people attracted towards it. Is it the glamour or just the money? I have too many questions on my mind and all that coz i do not really enjoy the game. I however, never miss an India Pakistan Cricket match for obvious reasons.

The late night news said India had won the match. I could see smiles around me. Half of India would have slept peacefully too, I 'm sure..

8 comments:

Swatantra said...

somehow the same scene at my home..

NR said...

Hahah...i loved this!!
We Indians love our cricket...we eat, drink, sleep and talk cricket. Its in our blood i guess.
Cricket is something that bonds everyone...its that time that most Indians feel true Indians. This can only happen in India n no where.
India played really very well that day!!

R. Ramesh said...

ya i dunno yar...i used to love cricket so much..used to watch matches from pavilian terrace at chepauk during 70s thanks to my umpire uncle..but well..now talk of cricket and i...well..lemme not say..cricket lovers will hit me..good post ya..take care..cheers

HaRy!! said...

Cricket our religion...cant help it!

Rambler said...

That's a really good idea, to shop when a match is on..at least u can avoid the crowds and get your shopping done quickly :-)

overturned blue shoe said...

cricket is the opium of the masses in this side of the world :)

Insignia said...

At any corner of the country, its the same hysteria during cricket. There were shouts and cheers, and occasional piece of advise from folks; as if Yuvi and Dhoni could hear through TV.

Hope you managed to get the things in the shop

JD said...

@ swatantra, :-)

@ Nazish, and we love cricket even more when we are winning :-)

@ RR, you don't like cricket anymore!! u seriously need a helmet when u walk down the road (psst..... just read ur post :-)

@ Hary, I swear.. Why do we call ourselves Hindus or muslims or anything else......Our religion is Cricket..

@ Rambler, :-) good idea actually..

@ OTBS, yep, talk of addiction :-)

@ Insignia, All that coz the crowds knew they were on the winning side. No wonder they make heroes out of the men in blue..
shopping was short as we had to catch up with the rest of the match!! ;-)